When I lived "in the bush" at my old post, they preferred speaking the local language, which was Bulu. I would find myself in groups where people rarely spoke French. Thus, I took it upon myself to learn Bulu. Here's some sentences I've learned in Bulu:
1) Ma dji mekala a Mekalat. I eat beignet in Mekalat.
2) Wo dji mise mikos. You eat fish eye.
3) Akon a kon amu na ake dji kon a akon. Akon is sick because he ate beans and plantains.
4) Ma ke yen etua metua emos Ntewua. I saw an extraordinary car on Wednesday.
5) Monti Minsili asili minsili adjo minsini. Mr. Minsili was talking about the bicycle.
After learning simple sentences, I started working on translating short stories. Here's one about baton de manioc. I suppose one could title it "Obili bibobolo? Got Baton?":